How To Kill Mold on Wood

How To Kill Mold on Wood

How can you tell if it’s mold?

Mold is a type of fungus that can grow on different surfaces, such as wood, paper, carpet, and food. It often looks like a green or black patch and can release spores into the air, which can cause allergic reactions in some people.

Start with identifying the location of the mold. If you are not sure where the source of the moisture is, start looking in areas where high humidity often occurs, such as bathrooms and kitchens. Use a flashlight with a UV light band if needed.

Mold can be a serious health hazard, so it’s important to take action if you think you have it in your home. You will need to take action to remove it.

What Is Black Mold?

There are thousands of different types of mold, and all of them need moisture to grow. Black mold is made up of many species. However, when individuals talk about black mold, they usually mean Stachybotrys chartarum. This is a greenish-black mold that grows on wood, paper products, and cotton. Moisture is necessary for it to grow. 

Black mold is a serious health hazard and can cause a number of adverse health effects, including respiratory problems, skin irritation, and neurological damage. It can also cause allergies and asthma attacks. If you think you might have black mold in your home, it is important to call a professional to remove it.

Is mold on wood furniture dangerous?

Mold is not only dangerous for your furniture, but also for you and your family. Mold can grow in wood furniture when it’s placed in an environment that has high humidity or when it’s in areas that are prone to flooding.

It’ll emit toxic mycotoxins into the air when it’s released from the mold spores. There are symptoms of mold exposure like headaches, nausea, sore throats, rashes on hands, dry eyes, wheezing and asthma symptoms. It can also cause symptoms like insomnia and memory problems.

If you notice any signs of mold growing in your wood furniture, remove any dirt or debris that may be trapping humidity. Crack open windows for five minutes every day to let the moist air escape your home. Turn on a fan or dehumidifier to keep the humidity levels low.

If you have access to a steam cleaner, use it on your furniture piece to kill mold spores while cleaning at the same time. Keep in mind that some pieces might need repair after being cleaned.

Any wood furniture with water damage can become a breeding ground for mold, so it’s best to discard the furniture and replace it with a new piece.

How To Kill Mold on Wood

here are some Solutions on how to get rid of mold on wood:

Bleach solution

One way to kill mold on wood is to use a bleach solution. Mix one part bleach with four parts water, and then pour it over the moldy area. Let the bleach solution sit for about 15 minutes, and then rinse the area with water.

Cleaning solvent

If the mold is growing on tile or linoleum, you can kill it with a dry cleaning solvent. Apply the solvent to the moldy area, let it sit for about 15 minutes, and then wipe it away with a dry rag.

Borax

Another way to kill mold on wood is to use borax. Pour borax over the moldy area, and let it sit until the mold starts to turn yellow. Then scrub the borax into the wood with a toothbrush or damp rag.

Using Vinegar, Bleach and Water

If you are not concerned about killing all of the mold on your wood, you can try making a solution using vinegar, bleach and water. Mix two cups of vinegar, one cup of bleach and one gallon of water. Soak a cloth in the solution, and then wring it out so that it is damp but not soaking. Wipe the moldy area with the cloth, and then let it air dry.

Steam Cleaner

You can also use a steam cleaner to kill mold on wood. Fill the steam cleaner’s water tank with plain hot water, and then plug it in. Let the steam cleaner run over the moldy area for about five minutes, and then check to see if the mold has turned yellow. If it has, you can wipe away the bleach with a dry rag.

Common Household Bleach.

If you are trying to kill mold on wood in an area that has not been treated with mold-killing chemicals, you can use a common household bleach. Fill a spray bottle with one part bleach to 10 parts water. Spray the area where the mold is growing, and then let it sit until the mold starts to turn yellow. Then wipe away the bleach solution using a damp rag.

Leave a Reply